Saturday, July 01, 2006

Badding Bros.

Naoyuki is the gardener, I'm the gardener wannabe. Together we make a reasonably good team; I'm happy to dig and plant and move sprinklers around. He's good at determining what to plant (with lots of input from me about "ooh, I like that" or "nah, does nuttin' for me"), plus watering, and pruning and that good stuff.

Badding Bros. is one of the innumerable produce / garden markets in the area, just a few miles north of us on Transit Road. It's smaller than some of its nearby rivals but it has a nice mix of stuff (summer vegetables and fruits), annuals and hanging pots for days, plus a nice selection of perennials. And often good sale prices on plants, although that's somewhat offset by being a bit overpriced for things that aren't on sale.

Today, though, we obtained another peony ($6.99), plus four delphiniums, six sea thrift, and six dwarf asters. Most of which will go nicely in the corner bed at the rear of the house (where we already have a good half dozen peonies, a Virburnum, a few sedums, and several hostas.) The delphiniums will go on the other side of the deck, next to the yuccas, replacing the lupines, which haven't done so well (we think the deer have been eating them.) Which leaves figuring out where to move the lupines. I'm guessing under the pines between our house and Art's, next to the bee's balm.

(If I were a really clever boy, I would look up online references to all of these and include links but I'm not that obsessive -- well, not at the moment, anyway!)


Plus 2 containers of strawberries, 2 containers of cherries, 2 containers of English peas. All homegrown. It's that time of year in Western New York.

In other words, a typical summer Saturday morning for us. Later I'll call David and Emily and say, "well, and we bought more plants" and they'll say, "You have no life!"

Que?

What could they mean?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home