Monday, October 02, 2006

Genealogy

My cousin Sally Nickle (nee Hall) has done some interesting work with our family genealogy, as has my brother Steve. In Sally's case, the mutual ancestor names are Grogan and Shaddix. (Warren Grogan and Pearl Shaddix Grogan were Sally's maternal grandparents and my mother's maternal grandparents.) Steve's work is on the Jasper side with the addition of his wife's family.

I'll toss in what I know:

Paternal Ancestors

Samuel Branch Jasper was born about 1818 in Minot, Maine. He married Mary Wilson and had a bunch of kids, including John Wilson Jasper (b. 1867 in Bethel, Ohio; d. 1939, Marshall, Texas.) John married Alice Virginia Covey, a school teacher, who lived in Houston at one point. They had three children: John, Esther, and my grandfather, William Godbey Jasper (b. August 3, 1897 in Ennis, Texas; died summer 1984 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.)

W.G. Jasper, or "Papa" as he was known to most of his grandchildren, married Grace Ewell Baker, a native of Marshall, Texas. They had five children: Doris (b. 1922-d. 1986), Joyce (b. 1924), Joan (b. 1927-d. 2002), Roy Wilson (b. April 11, 1930-d. September 2001), and Paul William (b. August 19, 1932 in West Monroe, La.; died October 13, 1989 in Pensacola, Fla.)

My father, Paul William Jasper, married Reca Bamberg, I think in about 1950. They divorced the same year my father married my mom, Mary Eulyne Mann (b. May 21, 1933, Talladega, Ala.) Dad and Mom had three children: ME (Richard Paul Jasper, b. April 11, 1958, Tallahassee, Fla.); Stephen Damon Jasper (b. December 19, 1959, Pensacola, Fla.); and Michael Peter Jasper (b. December 1, 1960, Pensacola, Fla.) We were "Ricky," "Stevie," and "Petey" when were little. I think my brothers still go by "Steve" and "Pete" but I've been "Richard" since I was in 7th grade (there was another "Ricky" and we had to choose...)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home