Monday, August 13, 2007

Moving along

I have set up a new online domain, rpjasper.org (no content yet), that will eventually replace my holdings at http://www.domani.net. As of now, my (new) preferred e-mail address is richard@rpjasper.org.

So why the move?

A couple of reasons:

(1) I was still using the hosting company that Jeremy had employed since about 2000, Xo.com. They've long since moved away from hosting personal websites and beginning in early 2007 they precipitously raised the rates for those of us still hanging about. I have better things to spend the money on.

(2) The domain name is still registered to Jeremy, even though I've been the official contact as far as the hosting company is concerned for many years. I tried explaining to Network Solutions LLC that there Domani Internet Services really wasn't a company (even though it was legally incorporated in Georgia), just a hobby of Jeremy's, but they wanted me to send a copy of the death certificate and the will and on and on. Of course, there was NO will, and even though I could deal with writing yet another letter and faxing yet another copy of the death certificate, I'm pretty sure they would say that was inadequate and I definitely am NOT up for calling Becky (Jeremy's mom) and getting her to write a notarized letter stating that as his closest surviving relative she disavowed all interest in the site. (She'd do it, I'm sure, and I'd have a nervous breakdown asking her to do so.)

So at some point before long I will tell Xo.com to pull the plug on the site, after I've moved all the content to the new one, and then it will be in limbo, presumably until the end of time or whenever the name registration is up for renewal.

When I told Naoyuki I'd made this decision, he was rather perturbed. "Are you sure?"

And, yes, in fact, I am.

Domani.net was a Jeremy creation and he's not here to maintain it. It is time for me to have a site over which I have total control, not just legacy privileges, where I can maintain and update the content I've created over the years -- and so that I can maintain (most of) the personal content he created.

I'll post an update here when the new site is up and running.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home